We were privileged to have been asked to be a Host Church during the Eucharist Congress. That historic week was a time of grace and growth for us in the parish and also for the many pilgrims who visited our newly renovated church.
There was a great sense of the universality and youthful vitality of the Church in our parish that week. We had concelebrated Masses in Spanish and Chinese, a large group of French-speaking pilgrims from the island of Guadalupe, in the Caribbean, various groups from North and South America, as well as bishops and priests from the United States, Kenya, India and the Czech Republic who concelebrated on various occasions. And we had a talk from Cardinal Robert Sarah, born in Guinea and now President of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum in Rome.
- About 1,500 Primary School Children came with their teachers for the programme of Catechesis, Lives of Saints Dramatisation and Adoration led by the Children of Hope.
- Over a 100 Young Teens attended a programme of Eucharistic Adoration led by inspirational speakers, concluding with a special retreat for them on Saturday 16 June.
- Scores of Families attended Catechetical Workshops to help parents pass on the Faith to their children and to encourage their Eucharistic devotion.
- Youth Leaders and Catechists came for workshops given by experienced practitioners to help catechise Youth.
- The Exhibition on the Eucharistic Miracles of the World was much appreciated.
- Perpetual Adoration, including all night (Monday 11 June at 11am to Saturday 16 June at 6pm) was very well attended. Many pilgrims from overseas joined us, including Night Adoration groups from Spain, Mexico and Puerto Rico. We are deeply grateful to Fr Bernard Kennedy and the parishioners of Beechwood Road Parish, who loaned us their magnificent large monstrance for the Congress.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation all day (9am-9pm, Mon 11-Sat 16 June) was availed of by many people, young and old.
- The momentous week in the life of the parish concluded with a wonderful lecture by his Eminence Robert Cardinal Sarah, President of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum, on the topic: Adoring the Eucharist: the Example of St. Josemaría Escrivá.
Our thanks to Rosemary Swords, Pat Reynolds of the IEC Eucharistic Adoration Committee; to Luison Lassala, Colm Duff, Peadar & Antoinette Moynihan and the other members of the parish IEC project team which worked so hard to make the Congress events in our church such a success; to Eddie Hannigan, who looked after fundraising to cover costs of hiring the marquee and other equipment; to the scores of volunteers who generously gave of their time and kindness during the week, day and night.
We are very grateful to Declan Quinn and the team at Aid to the Church in Need for their encouragement and support, especially with signage and texts for free distribution; and to our benefactors, in particular to Mike Kumar for his very significant contribution.
A special word of thanks to Albert Noonan, our architect, and the builders who met the deadline and transformed our church in the space of 2 short months in time for the Congress; and to the generosity of the various cleaning teams who spent long hours getting rid of the accumulated dust etc. of the building works – putting the finishing touches to the renovation project.
- 1. KEY ACTIVITIES in Our Lady Queen of Peace during Congress
- 2. GENERAL FLYER of Activities in Our Lady Queen of Peace during Congress
- 3. DAILY SCHEDULE of Activities in Our Lady Queen of Peace during Congress (1 page)
- 4. DAILY SCHEDULE of Activities in Our Lady Queen of Peace during Congress (large print, 3 pages)